Friday, October 4, 2019

The anti-Antichrist device.

Almost twenty years ago, I rented a house in a village, the name of which I choose not to remember.
I shared it with Julian and Adam. Now, Adam was known as the Antichrist.
Long before any of us had read Good Omens, a Neil Gaiman book in which there is another Antichrist named Adam.

It happened that, a few years before we moved into that house, he came to the shop from which I was running my ISP, which also sold mobile phones.
He didn't speak a word of Spanish then, so I was translating. He bought one, they told him his number would be 666-something.
So he started shouting, "Buahaha, 666, I am the Antichrist!".
Everyone was looking at him like he was crazy. I just smiled. I knew he was.
After that, we began calling him the Antichrist. It stuck. He often behaved...

... in the house in the village, more often than not, Adam would come, in the middle of the night or around dawn, eat all the food in the house, and go to sleep. We would then wake up and there would be nothing to eat.
We tried reasoning with him. It didn't work.

At that time, a friend of mine who had a restaurant, also had a tobacco-vending-machine, which he wanted to get rid of (he hated tobacco as his brother had just died of it). It was old, he couldn't sell it, asked me if I wanted it.
Light bulb. I took it to the house, emptied it, and was left with, basically, an iron cupboard with a lock on it.
It became known as the anti-Antichrist device.

No comments:

Post a Comment